Looking for an alternative wedding cake flavour? Take some inspiration from our top 25 suggestions...
The wedding cake; an essential, beautiful and delicious part of any wedding celebration.
Long gone are the days of ordering a simple, white wedding cake. Nowadays, wedding cake designers, and couples, think miles outside the box when it comes to creating spectacular designs most of which feature wedding flavours that are anything other than sponge.
Your wedding cake will more than likely be offered to your guests either throughout your wedding reception or to take home in a box at the end of the night as a memento to eat on the journey home. However, if you’re not a fan of traditional fruit cake and you’re looking for a flavour that’s a bit more exciting than Victoria Sponge, consider one of the 25 exciting, unique and out-of-the-ordinary wedding cake flavours that we’ve got listed below.
Wedding Cake Flavours Featuring Fruit
1. Lemon and poppy seed cake
2. Orange cake
3. Banana cake
4. Passion fruit cake
5. Lemon and blueberry cake
Chocolate Wedding Cake Flavours
6. Mint chocolate cake
7. Chocolate orange cake
8. White Chocolate cake
9. Chocolate and coconut cake
10. Chocolate and raspberry cake
Unusual Flavours for your Wedding Cake
11. Cinnamon cake
12. Carrot cake
13. Peanut butter cake
14. Pink lemonade cake
15. Kahlua cake
Indulgent Wedding Cake Flavours
16. Salted caramel cake
17. Red velvet cake
18. Strawberries and cream cake
19. Baileys and cream cake
20. Blueberry cheesecake
Wedding Cake Flavours Featuring Nuts
21. Almond cake
22. Hazelnut cake
23. Walnut cake
24. Nutella cake
25. Pistachio cake
Top Tip: Discuss your wedding cake flavours with your cake designer in advance, and if you can, ask for a cake tasting so that you’ve got a few different options to choose from.
Ordering your Wedding Cake
• When ordering your wedding cake it might be a good idea to order some gluten free wedding cupcakes for guests with an allergy to wheat – just so that they can indulge too!
• Your wedding cake supplier should be able to advise you on the best size of wedding cake, based on your guests numbers. You wouldn’t want to order a wedding cake that is too small.
• Don’t be afraid to order a variety of wedding cake flavours to feature in your cake; that way, there will be something for everyone.
• Be as creative as you like when it comes to ordering your cake – whether it’s a bespoke wedding cake topper or a unique design that defines you both perfectly. You’ll find that design wise, the possibilities are endless.
• Can your wedding cake designer offer any alternatives to wedding cakes? What about a wedding cupcake display or how about a tower of donuts as a quirky alternative?
Top Tip: If you only have the budget to order a small wedding cake design, but want to have enough cake to go around…consider buying cutting bars; ordinary bars of cake that can be cut up behind the scenes.
Your Wedding Cake on the Big Day
Wedding Cake Knife
Ensure you’ve got a wedding cake knife ready and waiting for the moment you cut your cake. The planning team at your wedding venue should be able to coordinate this for you.
Wedding Cake Distribution
How and when your wedding cake is distributed at your wedding reception will vary depending on where you are getting married. Some couples choose to offer wedding cake on their evening buffet, where as others like to stick to tradition and send a piece of wedding cake home with their guests at the end of the night.
Left Over Wedding Cake
You should think about what you’d like to do with any left over wedding cake (if there is any) before your wedding day. Carefully advise the staff at your wedding venue whether you’d like them to keep a tier or two safely in a box to give you before departing the venue – or if you’d like it all cut up and served throughout the night.